Saturday 15 September 2012

Pictures about TIME, Lars Erik Holm

Lars Erik Holm is a Swedish artist using overglazed technique during Pişmiş symposium. Clean but not too clean, simple and colourful are his works. He is impressed by the idea of TIME in our life and creating art means for him connection similar to love!



How would you describe your art in general?
I make a lot of pictures about TIME. The history of people is the history of time. If we don`t have any relation to the time, we will always do the same mistakes. I`m interested in history as a knowledge of human being. Also, this fact that you are living and you are slowly approaching death is very impressive.

How can you capture this idea into art?
The general interest in time appears in my art. However, my art is very much just about doing. I paint, and I can`t really explain why I am doing that. I can do something that is very beautiful and then I have to destroy it!


Why?
I don`t know. It didn`t fit for me at the moment. And then I look at something that is very ugly and think, this is OK! There is something behind you that makes this decision. Sometimes you don`t understand what it`s telling you. It is just like havig a connection! My pictures are connected to place, which is some kind of city. There is a city which you will never see but you walk in it every day. Living on different levels.

Do you feel more connected when you create art?
Yes, It is like these images come from somewhere. This thing about art, why you do it, where these pictures come from, this is really strange! I have this strong feeling that I have a conntact with something. I wouldnt say God or something like that, but some sort of a place, some piece of consciousness that is helping me and telling me these things. You just need to be pure,  open-minded. Then you can get contact. But sometimes you don`t get contact and then you get very sorry. It is like talking to somebody you love, and she doesn`t listen! Is is the same with love. It is an act of love. If it works, it is fantastic! If not, it is sad, but you know, tomorrow it will be better!

When did you start with your art?
I think it was from childhood. I did not know how to draw or paint when I was a kid. My grandfather was not really artist but he was painting walls for rich families, entrances. But he had very good colours and I got them when he died. I did my first oil painting when I was five. I planned to be an architect, but I ended up being artist. It was not planned, just happened. Like most of the things in life.

When did you realize that you want to do art for living?
The first time I said these words I was 19 or 20. I was going to my first art school after high school and military. I had the exhibition at the end of art school. One journalist asked me, back then, if I could think of being artist as a profession, and I said, yes, this is my plan. When I said it, I realised that this is my dream! Sometimes it is like you dont choose your destiny, the destiny chooses you. You have a free will that gives you some opportunities and if you open your mind everything will be good. You can just follow the stream.

What are you working on in the symposium?
I want to work quite colourful and simple. I want it clean but not too clean. I am using aready-made tiles, like you use for bathrooms. We work with overglaze porcelain colour and screen printing. I have several friends, artists, at home that dont think of this as a real ceramics.



How does your art disinguish from other artists?
Normally, I work a lot in this enamel technique and it is not that common. I like to experiment as well, but I can`t do it here in symposium. Im just an ordinary hard working artist! There are thousands of hardworking artists all over the world, we are like an army!

How do you like the symposium so far?
I like it very much. It is interesting with so many people. There are people everywhere, so much to do, and it`s a kind of meeting at the same time. It is very well organized, interesting mess! You learn a lot from other artists and students.

You travel a lot, do you like Turkey?
Turkey is one of my favourite countries. I have a dream that later on I will buy a house in some warm place. Sweden is a nice country but winter is too long. In february you hate this country. My dream is being half a year in Sweden and half a year maybe in Turkey.

Do you have some other dreams?
I don`t have so many dreams. This sounds maybe terrible but I think life is really ok. I take every day as it is. Maybe I have some personal dreams but I am quite satisfied! I can feel sorry for my students while Im working as a teacher. When you are 23, 24, 25 you have to make all the important decisions. Should I stay with this girl or a boy for the rest of my life, get children, a job, an education. All these big decisions you have to make at one point of your life and this is really terrible thing! They can give you a lot of headache. I dont have this problem! My children can handle themselves, I am free man to do whatever I want. I think life is wonderful!

Visit Lars here

No comments:

Post a Comment