Wednesday 19 September 2012

The mythology of Eskişehir, Semih Kaplan

Semih Kaplan is a lecturer at the local University. He has been interested in art since childhood and worked it to the doctorate in painting. His symposium artwork is inspired by Greek and Turkish mythology.


Can you introduce your art for our readers? What is the idea behind it?
I am making three different figures for this Symposium. They indicate Marsyas from Greek Mythology and also Turkish Mythology, Apolyon, a fine arts God. The last one is King Midas.  My art shows the story between them. I chose this subject because it belongs to this area; it’s the Mythology of Eskisehir. For example, a long time ago Phrygians lived in Eskisehir and Midas was King of them.

How did you get into this kind of art?

I have graduated from a ceramic department and my high school education is also ceramic but my doctorate is in painting, so I use different techniques. Paint making, water colour, acrylic oil – I can use all materials and I want to use them during the Symposium. I am mixing my techniques with print making and ceramics. Every time I make something, I use a different technique, different techniques for different projects.

When did your interest in art start?
I began to draw in my primary school, my teachers liked my drawings and they supported me. Afterwards, my father sent me to a fine arts high school, so that I had the best chance to be surrounded by art and I could improve.

Do you think these symposiums are useful for other artists or students?

Yes, here is the best place for students to learn something new because they can see various techniques here. There are lots of artists here and each of them is working with different techniques. I am a lecturer at the university but you cannot see these techniques at the university like you can see them here.

What about your future plans, after symposium?

After this symposium I have an exhibition in Ankara, two months later. So I am preparing for this exhibition. I have also made a big relief wall for the Berlin Embassy and after the Symposium I will go to Berlin to put it into its place.

No comments:

Post a Comment